Here is my final piece for CG Society’s CG Challenge. The challenge was to install autoPACK and use it to generate a HIV in blood serum model and manipulate it using a 3D software. autoPACK is an object packaging App with GUI access that allows you to automatically generate a provided HIV model. I installed it and used 3DS Max to tweak the model and add materials, textures and lighting to the scene. I then took several render passes (lighting, ambient occlusion, specular, zdepth, diffuse, and beauty) and brought them into After Effects to composite and tweak.
Another project done using Mudbox (yay!) and 3DS Max (Boo!)!!! As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, Mudbox is a wonderful 3D sculpting tool that is as enjoyable as it is challenging; while 3DS Max is just… challenging. The assignment for this project was to create a polycystic kidney and a “normal” kidney and create a 2D editorial piece incorporating the 3D models. The project began in Mimics which is an image processing software that creates a 3D image from multiple, stacked, 2D images (in this case, CT scans). Once the 3D model was extracted it was imported into Mudbox where it was automatically retopologized. Here I sculpted a polycystic kidney from the normal kidney then painted and textured it. Once it looked beautiful and gross I imported it to 3DS Max to light and render. Along with the model, a normal and displacement map were imported from Mudbox which contain the paint and bump layers. This allows you to tie them into the material editor in Max and edit them to get them to look the way the did in Mudbox. So after hours of playing around with different settings on my normal and displacement maps in the material editor I got a 3D model that was almost as nice as the one I had created in Mudbox. Next, I lit the scene with a few standard target lights. Once the lighting gave the right effect I rendered it using different layer passes that I then brought into Photoshop to layer and manipulate some more. I also added some glossy highlights in Photoshop that weren’t showing up well in Max. The intended use for the editorial is to accompany a journal article discussing the genetics of polycystic kidney disase (PKD). So, I went with a family tree theme. Here it is!
Our final project of the term, often referred to as ‘The John-Scott Project’ was to illustrate a physiological concept in 2D (for John’s class) and in 3D (for Scott’s). I chose to do a pathophysiological concept of the reovirus. Reovirus, short for Respiratory Enteric Orphan Virus, is a naturally occurring virus that targets cancer cells and is harmless to normal cells. (You’ve probably encountered reovirus at some point in your life but your immune system has removed it.) Normal cells have Protein Kinase R (PKR) which protects them against viral infections. Cancer cells have an activated Ras Pathway (involved in cellular signal transduction) which blocks PKR activity, thus allowing reovirus to invade, There is a variant of reovirus, called Reolysin, which is currently under Phase 3 clinical trials (final testing) for cancer treatment. What’s so amazing about this virus, is that it has the potential to treat an overwhelming majority of cancers. 75% of primary carcinomas have Ras turned on and 95-100% of metastatic tumors have it on, thus the potential to be invaded and killed by reovirus. I’m very excited to see what happens in the future!
Here’s the 2D illustration using Photoshop. (Note, the reovirus are much smaller than what is depicted)
Here’s the 3D version using 3Ds Max of reovirus finding the angiosarcoma