One assignment down… plenty to go! My first assignment as a graduate student in the Biomedical Visualizations program at UIC was to create a pencil sketch of the anterior and posterior view of the shoulder joint. The main goal of the study was to accurately depict the relative proportions of the shoulder girdle by drawing it in a 1:1 ratio with the picture plane. To execute this, I placed a piece of plexiglass in front of the shoulder model and used a divider and monocular vision to transfer the dimensions of the shoulder to my tracing paper. I had never used a divider or monocular vision before, so it was an interesting challenge. The divider ensures the measurements taken from the model are the same measurements depicted on your paper. Monocular vision ensures that your view of the shoulder on the picture plane does not change in perspective.
Once the measurements were taken and put down on tracing paper, I used my bone box, several anatomy textbooks, and two VR models as additional references to check the measurements and bony landmarks on my drawing. After several re-drawn, cleaned-up, and fixed-up pieces of tracing paper were used, I finally had an accurate sketch that I could use to transfer to the Bristol paper that my final drawing would be presented on. After transferring my drawing to the Bristol paper I rendered it’s form and texture using H, HB, and B pencils.
The drawing was finally complete! Only a few more steps! You wouldn’t think scanning the image could be too difficult, but it was. The scanning required a lot of manipulation of the curves and levels to ensure that it didn’t darken or blow out my image. Labeling the structures also took some time and thought to determine where the best locations for my leader lines would go, how thick they would be, and what font I would use. Last, but not least, the signature. After several pages of my scribbled name, I found one I liked. After all of this work, here’s my final product!!!