Before I began applying for jobs in the biomedical visualization field, I spoke with a couple professors about things I could do to fix up some old pieces for my portfolio. Here are a few examples of images I’ve reworked to make better/more accurate for my portfolio.
1. Stomach (Peptic Ulcer): 1) The cardiac sphincter wasn’t constricted enough and lacked circular muscles. 2) There wasn’t enough contrast around the ulcer to attract the viewers eye, so I strengthened the red around it to make the green pop a bit more.
2. Syringe: 1) There were some jagged edges from polygons in 3ds max that I smoothed out in Photoshop. 2) The shadow being cast by the syringe wasn’t quite accurate, so I lengthened it so it no longer appeared to be floating.
3. HIV: 1) The blur was a bit too exaggerated in the fore and background, so I went back into After Effects and decreased the depth of field blur. 2) To make the environment more believable I added some more floating particles.
Here is my final piece for CG Society’s CG Challenge. The challenge was to install autoPACK and use it to generate a HIV in blood serum model and manipulate it using a 3D software. autoPACK is an object packaging App with GUI access that allows you to automatically generate a provided HIV model. I installed it and used 3DS Max to tweak the model and add materials, textures and lighting to the scene. I then took several render passes (lighting, ambient occlusion, specular, zdepth, diffuse, and beauty) and brought them into After Effects to composite and tweak.
Here’s my new logo! Inspired by, you guessed it, The Golden Ratio!
So here’s my first attempt at animation! Enjoy!
P.S. The compression in Youtube is a little pixelated, but viewing it in 480p will help
Here’s the final assignment for my surgical illustration class. It’s depicting a VP Shunt Replacement in a child. VP shunts are used in cases of Hydrocephalus where cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) is accumulating in the ventricles of the brain. The shunt, which travels through adipose tissue down to the peritoneum (as depicted in the second smaller image), allows the CSF to drain properly. Shunt replacements are required for various reasons, one of which is CSF blockage at the valve of the shunt, which I have shown.
Here are some screenshots of the animation I’ve been working on in 3DS Max. These stills are from the intro scene explaining the synthesis of ATP inside the mitochondria. The animation process started off with some sketches and storyboarding of my concept. Then I animated the 2D storyboard images in After Effects and added the audio script. Next, I began modeling basic shapes for the animatic inside 3DS Max and adding camera moves. Currently, I’m refining some of the models and cameras, adding some modifiers and subtle motions to the “cellular scene” and creating a fluid environment. Plenty more work to do so I’m sure I’ll have another updated post soon!
This stomach was sculpted, painted, and textured using ZBrush.